How does a large university contribute to tackling the climate crisis? How can it support action across the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals?
This event will be a lively debate on how the University of Southampton’s globally renowned research and teaching, and its Sustainability Strategy, are driving action towards Net Zero and pioneering solutions for a sustainable future. Questions from the audience will also be put to the panel.
– Professor Simon Kemp, University Lead in Education for Sustainable Development as part of the Southampton Sustainability Strategy, responsible for embedding sustainable development across the whole of the university curricula and student experience, and winner of a Green Gowns ‘Sustainability Professional of the Year’ award.
– Bitsy Pout, MSc in Biodiversity and Conservation student at the University of Southampton having recently completed her undergraduate degree in Environmental Science here. She has a particular interest in pollinators, rewilding and Biodiversity Net Gain.
– Adam Tewkesbury, Associate Director for Environment & Sustainability at the University of Southampton and member of the Sustainability Strategy Implementation Group.
– Dr Wassim Dbouk, Marine and Maritime Policy Research Fellow, with research interests in the policy aspects influencing the governance and sustainable management of our oceans and the implementation of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.
– Delia Crowe, Principal Teaching Fellow who places sustainability at the heart of her teaching and research, and Founder and Director of the Winchester School of Art Sustainability Forum, with research interests in Fashion and Sustainability and Sustainability Pedagogy.
The event will be chaired by Dr Tony Curran, Senior Public Engagement Fellow, Public Engagement with Research unit at the University of Southampton, and Environmental Science Communicator.
Please arrive from 18:15 for a prompt 18:30 start. The event will conclude with an optional reception with light refreshments, a chance to meet and chat informally with the panellists and other guests.