UK based Graduate Ambassadors

Find below a list of our Graduate Ambassadors based in and around the UK. These graduates are from the years 2020, 2021 & 2022. If you’re interested in involving some of our Graduate Ambassadors for an event or activity at the University, please get in touch with givetime@soton.ac.uk

Some of our Graduates are from a Widening Participation and Social Mobility background if you are interested in involving them in a specific event please get in touch on the above email.

Charlotte Cockram – MSc Oceanography 2021

I would like to be involved in activities that involve widening participation which could be activities like student life talks, mentoring or beyond. I’d also like to assist with enabling as a student who has experienced the facilities.

Skills: I am confident in public speaking from my role as a student ambassador and giving talks and presentations at schools, classed as a disabled student, can assist with enabling and other areas.

Works as Junior Ocean Environmental Scientist at UK Hydrographic Office.

Maureen Usiagwu – MSc Operational Research and Finance 2021

I am confident in participating at Career fairs and having one-to-one sessions with students at career fairs, I can also talk at panel sessions sharing my experience and telling my story. I am confident in CV writing for students and recent graduates. I get commended on mine and have been able to assist some friends to revamp theirs.

Skills: I am a very people inclined person and over the years I’ve realized it comes easy to make people feel relaxed around me and I truly enjoy coaching and guiding people especially as it relates to career and harnessing opportunities.

Has worked as a People Strategy Intern with UNFPA (United Nations Population Fund). Currently working as a Workforce Transformation consultant at Capgemini Invent, Manchester.

Milo Noblet – MEng Electronic Engineering 2021

It’d be great to talk about my experience and lessons learned during my degree, as well as wider student life. Particularly around employability and networking.

Skills: I am comfortable engaging via social media with prospective and current students. I am also comfortable speaking to and teaching/training young people – mentor on university summer school, work with Arkwright scholarships trust, and cadet forces.

Works as Electronic Engineer at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, Gloucestershire.

Lucy Eyre – BSc Psychology 2021

I’m a friendly individual, who is happy to sit and listen or join in on any topic. I volunteered for Enabling Services for the last 2 years and worked with a huge range of students and I was able to successfully support them.

Skills: I’m confident at speaking to people and supporting them. I have experience communicating to a large range of individuals in different age ranges and different personal backgrounds.

Well-being Advisor at Exeter College.

Violet Phillipo – MSc Environmental Consultancy 2021

I’m happy to give general degree advice and help for chemistry, and environmental science. I have some experience with giving talks about student life, accommodation, which I’d be happy to do more of. I can help with workshops, activities, and campus tours with students.

Skills: Public speaking and adapting communication for different audiences by giving talks about Southampton and university life as a student ambassador. I have also developed skills in planning and leading workshops for young people as a volunteer at Rainbows. As a mentor, I’ve enhanced my listening and communication skills to maximise the help and support I can give.

Research Assistant at Nommm.

Eleanor Veale – BSc Psychology 2021

I would like to help take part in student life talks and provide advice on things such as optional modules, and how not to get to bogged down with the stress of extra curricular things on top of your degree. For instance, in third year when you need to start thinking about the future I think I would be good with advice on not getting too stressed.

Skills: I have good rapport when speaking to other students and professionals. Also I able to offer advice through sharing my own journey.

Currently studying for an MSc in Forensic Psychology with Counselling at the University of Bath.

Rachael Howe – MLang German and Spanish Linguistic Studies 2020

I would be happy to help out wherever possible, to give back to the University! I am really interested in supporting students considering higher education, as well as any promotional support for the University or anything about degree advice.

Skills: Time management and organisation are my strongest, both of which I have demonstrated through taking part in many extra-curricular activities alongside my studies, such as: being a student ambassador, completing an internship, volunteering, attending societies. In addition, I am enthusiastic, I have a positive attitude, and I am highly passionate about my subjects, all of which I strive to pass on to my students!

Has completed a PGCE in Modern Languages, and has been accepted to read an MSc in Applied Linguistics for Language Teaching at the University of Oxford. She also volunteers with The Access Project which supports students from disadvantaged backgrounds. She also teaches Modern Languages at Sherfield School.

Josiah Kirplani – LLB Law 2021

I would be like to give advice to prospective university students about life at university, preparing for university, and choosing universities / courses, as I have been asked quite a few times to give such advice to people 1-on-1 and also in groups. I also feel that I would be suited to speaking with people at University; giving degree advice.

Skills: Confident at speaking both to large groups and individuals, as I have lots of experience in performing in front of crowds. I am motivated and hard-working, as exemplified by my strong results whilst partaking in a variety of extra-curricular activities.

Works in a commercial flight school.

Regina Askary – BMBS Medicine, BMedSci 2021

I can help provide support and advice about student life, managing time with studying, what applying for Medicine was like, how to make the most of your time and can share my experiences as a student.

Skills: Confident speaking about time-management, pushing myself to my limits, stress and anxiety, personal and work-life balance, adapting to change of environments and personal experiences/lessons learnt. I also feel comfortable with public speaking due to how social my university experience has been, and I am able to rephrase scenarios or explaining complex things at different levels depending on the type of communication I am using.

Have started their medical foundation training at Torbay Hospital, Torquay, and will rotate specialties every 4 months in South Devon for the next two years.

Somtonna Anyansi – BSc Economics 2021

I’d be able to help give degree advice, and greater insight into accommodation options as I’ve lived in a range of different ones; I have lived in university accommodation, private student accommodation, and a private house. I’d also like to give 1-1 advice and mentorship as well as talk to large groups.

Skills: Confidence in talking to small groups and large groups from my experience of working as a student ambassador for the University.

Trainee Digital Consultant at KPMG, Nigeria.

Imogen Fry – BSc Psychology (YIE) 2021

I’m proud to be from a working-class background and I have a lot to thank the Access to Southampton scheme in gaining my position at the university and for their continuing support throughout my degree. As a Graduate Ambassador, I think would be able to offer help to students who may be from a similar background to myself and/or students with similar career aspirations to mine.

Skills: I am confident in my ability to communicate with people from all backgrounds due to my experience in hospitality facing roles and my time working in the mental health sector. I would be happy to get involved in public speaking or facilitating workshops in-person or online as I have co-facilitated psychoeducation/therapy/skills groups with colleagues as an honorary assistant psychologist.

Support Time Recovery Worker at West Early Intervention with the Psychosis Team under the Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust.

Bishoy Romani – MEng Aerospace Engineering 2019

I will be able to give good advice about student life and making the most out of your time at Uni. After all I owe all my success to the opportunities I discovered at Uni and the people I met which greatly shaped me as an individual. I can also offer some advice about networking, CVs, job applications and career choices after Uni.

Skills: Public speaking – through giving many student life talks/presentations and campus tours during my time at Uni as a Lead Student Ambassador.

Interpersonal skills – I am quite extroverted and naturally comfortable talking to anyone from any background. I also have high levels of culture awareness and I am an open/honest communicator.

Works as Strategic Sales Account Manager at Pall Corporation. Also works part-time on weekends as a bartender or supervisor.

Eleanor Goodier – MChem Chemistry 2021

I can give advice for accommodation and student life as I’ve worked for them the last 3 years. I also can give degree and career advice as I’ve experienced the process of interviews and writing CV’s to get my job.

Skills: Experience in mentoring as part of my regular voluntary role at TheStudentRoom where I manage projects, mentor volunteers and lead initiatives on the forum! I am confident and would relish the opportunity to do more public speaking as I’ve done talks using LinkedIn within the Chemistry department.

Works as Associate Scientist at CatSci Ltd., Cardiff.

Olivia Deng – MSc Marketing Management 2021

I studied marketing and am more than happy to provide degree advice. Also, I am happy to talk with students.

Skills: I worked as sports brand ambassador for around a year, so I am familiar with the sports facility and services at the uni. I am an international student, and I used e-mentoring and uni career services several times. I am a marketer, so I have some understanding and experience in social media and advertising. And I am also good at photography and video editing.

Sales and Marketing Administrator at Savills, Cambridge.

Leanne Chan – BSc Psychology 2021

I am open to talking about my experience as a first-generation BAME student, as well as mental health, job hunting and general university advice.

Skills: Communication, simplifying complex information, being organised and producing consistent work as showcased by my first class degree achievement.

I have also design skills from creating and designing posters and merchandise as a publicity officer.

Works as Associate Behavioural Consultant at Ipsos UK, London.

Jordan Khang – MEng Mechanical Engineering 2021

Jordan Khang profile photo

I’d like to participate in student life talks, give degree advice, interview skills for summer internships and graduate schemes, manage time effectively when juggling a full-time degree, and apply for early-career roles externally.

Skills: Public speaking, communication skills, and career advice as I’ve been through that stage where I am unsure what to do with my degree.

Currently working as Senior Associate of Bankit & Capital Markets at Deloitte, London.

Tasneem Bawendi – MEng Computer Science 2020

I’ve had experience in internships, having completed two and have also had two jobs since graduating I feel I am best able to help with career related activities.

Skills: Speaking to small groups, managing events, managing others and working with children (including mentoring while as School and University).

Works as Graduate Software Engineer at Apple.

Vito Capone – LLB 2021

I can contribute with assisting students with degree advice such as managing their time as well as encouraging and motivating the students.

Skills: Confidence in giving talks, speaking at public events and guiding and motivating individuals.

Pursuing an MS in Global Affairs at King’s College, London.

Sapthake Santharuban – BSc Economics 2021

During my internship, I was able to work with student volunteers and disadvantaged young people in Southampton. I was able to meet and learn from many people and work on tasks, including planning activity days for young people, and creating resources for volunteers and families taking part in Branch Up.

Skills: confidence and communication, pastoral support, volunteer management, brand representation experience, knowledge in safeguarding, communication and organisation.

Works as Southampton Programmes Manager with Student Hubs.

Samir Doshi – BSc Economics 2021

I’m happy to join in on any topic and engage with students at any level. As a previous SUSU trustee can advocate for trying new things and time management. As I am studying alongside my economist role I can also offer perspective on part-time study commitments. I can further talk about studying with a disability and potential impacts of disclosure.

Skills: I was effective at managing time and being organised during my degree. These skills are regularly applied during my degree. I have also developed at building working relationships and engaging with stakeholders in my job, so I can offer a view on this

Assistant Economist at Department for Environment, Food, and Rural Affairs. Plus, studying a part-time MSc in Economics at Queen Mary University of London.

Orabelema Sekibo – BEng Electrical Engineering

Interested in helping with giving degree specific advice and also encourage participation in STEM related subjects. With experience of being a mentor with sixth form students.

Skills: Good organisational and time management skills due to the experience gained being on the committee at the University for the Christian society and being a mentor.

Energy Market Analyst at AFRY, Oxford.

Sarah McGill – Biomedical Science 2020

I can share my experiences and give advice about making the most of your time as a Southampton student. I can discuss working alongside studies, joining societies and staying on top of your studies.

Skills: Good organisation and planning skills due to my experience as a tutor and netball captain. Strong communication skills due to my time as a student ambassador where I spoke to large groups of people. I am willing to try new things and complete tasks to the best of my ability.

Has completed a Primary PGCE at Roehampton University and worked in two south London schools and plans to volunteer in schools before starting their Early Career Teacher years.

Haopeng (Jackie) Qin – BSc Marketing with Placement 2021

I am more than happy to give advice on studying at Southampton and helping students improve their employability skills. As an international student from Asia I would like to help other international students adapt to their new environment through the sharing of my own experiences.

Skills: I have good presentation and public speaking skills. During my consulting experience, I help my clients to solve their problem by delivering help performance strategic solutions as part of team.

Change & Business Solutions Graduate at NatWest.

Olivia Keegan Carr – MSci Archaeology 2021

I’d like to partake in Student life talks (inc. aspects about my degree, volunteering on societies etc) and degree advice.

Skills: I enjoy working in public outreach events and have experience communicating to various audiences, including families at events such as hands-on humanities day (2019) and the Science and engineering festival (2019). Alongside talking to prospective students at open days and applicant days (2018-2021); including doing the student life talk for archaeology at the 2019 open days.

Community Engagement Coordinator at Marble Hill House Based, London.
Also, freelances as Tutor of English, Math, Geography, History, and Science with GoStudent.

Helena Sherman – BSc Marine Biology 2021

I am really excited to get involved in the graduate ambassador scheme, helping future graduates with job application support and general career progression advice – I have been through the process and have a lot to share! I have also thoroughly enjoyed all my previous public outreach event experiences, particularly inspiring the younger STEM generation, and look forward to helping run more events in the future.

Skills: Previous experience organising and running public engagement events for the university and various charity’s has helped me develop strong communication and leadership skills, particularly when working with youth groups. Additionally, my science degree has provided me with the skill set to tackle projects methodically and with creativity.

Works at NatureMetrics, Guildford, as eDNA Marine Products Manager, and is involved in analysing environmental DNA to inform biodiversity management and policy internationally.

Harikesan Baskaran – BEng Mechanical Engineering with Placement 2021

I am able to help with talks aimed a primary school student, all the way up to prospective and current students. This can vary from why you should go to university or study engineering to more specific degree/career-related advice.

Skills: I can help organise events, as I have been a voluntary coordinator for STEM competitions conducted by the Space Science and Engineering Foundation.

I am also confident taking part in public speaking events, as I hold a Level 3 Award in Communication with ‘Distinction’.

Pursuing a PhD in Civil, Environmental and Geomatic Engineering at UCL.

Pascal Ezeabasili – BEng Aeronautics and Astronautics 2020

I’m open to any and all volunteering opportunities.

I am also willing to do in-person volunteering based in Southampton as well as the online ones.

Skills: I am confident in my organisation skills and communication.

Works as Category Finance Analyst at Kraft Heinz, London.

Genevieve Sybil Anatase – LLM Maritime Law 2021

I can support new and current students to adapt well to campus life by assisting at events, open day activities, offer advice on both undergraduate and graduate school experiences and expectations, amongst others. I can also assist in providing campus tours, meet and greet prospective students, families, alumni and special guests.

Skills: I possess quality leadership abilities. I have excellent interpersonal skills and a very good professional demeanour. In my young but eventful career as a lawyer, I have had to deal with all sorts of clients with diverse backgrounds, yet I have been able to cope and relate well with them, delivering well on their needs and meeting their expectations.

Currently working as a Foreign Lawyer for Zeiler Floyd Zadkovich.

Clare Macnaughton – PGCE English 2021

As a mature student and parent I have lots of life experiences and great empathy for the trials and tribulations we encounter on our journeys. I am a great listener and can offer solutions if required.

Skills: I am an energetic, self-motivated, intellectually agile, open minded individual and tenacious team player with a strategic mind, own initiative and a disciplined yet creative approach to problem solving and life execution. I left home at 18 years old, travelled the world, I have been employed, and I have been self-employed for 15 years. I am both resilient and adventurous. 

Freelance Columnist for Wiltshire Life Magazine + Freelance Author/Ghostwriter + Co-Founder at Graffinity

Joseph Crockett – MA Philosophy 2021

I can help giving degree advice and advice on extra-curricular activities. 

Skills: I am confident in taking part in public speaking events due to my education in, at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, Philosophy. Plus, I was a member of the debating society in my second year. I did a lot of volunteering at my time in Southampton, both within and outside the university, including: the student innovation programme, the Big Breakfast Initiative at Above Bar Chruch, StudentHub’s Biocycle Scheme, CAP volunteering and United Parents at Above Bar Church.

Studying for an MA in Philosophy at the University of Exeter.

Melody Lin – MSc Digital Marketing 2019

I have experience with working, both in part-time and voluntary work while I was studying, and made use of the help provided by the University Careers Centre. I can provide career advice in marketing and studying abroad as an international student.

Skills: I am confident helping students with career advice in marketing due to my professional experience. I have good Organisation skills and follow through on processes.

Working in London as a Biddable Account Manager at Publicis Media.

Sandipan Ghosh – Master of Business Administration 2022

I have experience in internships in strategy and projects. I can provide advice for studies, career coaching, and motivation.

Skills: I am confident in speaking to people and motivating people to achieve their goals. I have skills in leadership and empathy.

Has interned with Insensys Ltd.

Kate Beeslee – BA History 2022

I would love to give advice on degrees and the general university experience. I believe I could give good degree advice having received a first class degree alongside working and enjoying student life.

Skills: I am confident in public speaking due to my role as Head Girl where I interacted with a range of audiences. I’m very personable due to my public facing roles as a Pharmacy Assistant and during an internship with Citizens Advice where I spoke to clients at food larders. I have exemplary time management skills and am hard working and motivated.

Has interned with Citizens Advice and worked as a Pharmacy Assistant. Currently living in Cardiff.

Ionut Dragomir – BSc Biochemistry 2019

During my time at the University of Southampton, I had the chance of meeting multiple graduate ambassadors. Their passion and the way they instilled this passion into the younger generation led me to pursue the career I am doing now. Therefore, I would firstly like to pay this forward by giving degree advice and also linking it to career options. I would also like to get involved in mentoring activities since I believe a good mentor can really enhance the motivation of a young student.

Skills: I am confident in communicating in both written and spoken English. I really enjoy presenting scientific topics to non-scientific audiences. My strong time management skills will help me keep on top of my activities and motivate me to achieve even more. Moreover, my flexible approach to problem-solving will help me tackle any issues that may arise.

Working as a Data Scientist at Achilles Therapeutics, Uxbridge.

Desislava Stamenova – MEng Software Engineering 2020

When I was a student I found it particularly helpful to speak to graduates and ask them questions about how they got to where they were and listen to their advice on achieving career goals. This is what I’m hoping I could do as a recent graduate myself – help guide students and show them a clearer path towards their goals. 

Skills: My strongest skill is my ability to listen to people and put myself in their shoes. I’ve been a mentor for a few graduates in the past 2 years and I adore hearing their stories and sharing experiences together. This has truly made me a richer person. Ultimately, what makes me good at what I do is the passion I have for both technology and sharing what I know with people.

Has joined J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. as Associate Software Engineer, where she is featured on the company’s career website as an exceptional graduate to look out for. Based in Bournemouth.

Grace Lam – MEng Mechanical Engineering with Industrial Placement Year 2022

I think I will most be able to help in giving degree and career advice, and I would love to give some talks. 

Skills: I am confident giving presentations and public speaking due to my experience with Future Worlds and background in entrepreneurship.

Software Engineer at JP Morgan Chase & Co., and the co-founder of a start-up called AMRSS which was founded while studying at Southampton.

Abdelkader Lamzini – MSc Computer Science 2021

I would be able to help out on giving career advice and showing how to take that next step from studying into the workplace. I would like to help out in mentoring students from helping them with studying and best practices to preparing them for the real world.

Skills: I am good at presenting ideas and sharing them with a group of people, currently doing this often within my current role. I have been developing good mentoring skills due to teaching and mentoring an intern in my career. Lastly, problem solving is at the heart of everything I do, so I can help students that have any issues and help them come up with a plan to tackle it. I think trying to run my own business and maintain a working life balance is a useful skill I have taught myself.

Works as a Software Engineer at Sophos, Abingdon.

Aleksei Martirosov – BSc Computer Science 2022

I have learned a lot about the balance between student life and academic performance and its importance not just for your own wellbeing, but also for your future successes – if there is any experience that I went through, I’d be more than happy to describe it and give advice. I also enjoy giving talks.

Skills: I am a confident public speaker, as I’ve participated in countless different business pitches, but I am also good at speaking to individuals and mentoring them based on my experiences, as I simply enjoy talking to people. I am really adaptable with what I want to do, because my goal is to learn a variety of skills. And the best way is getting right to it, even if it requires getting out of the comfort zone. 

Software Engineer at The Trade Desk, London.

Patrick Riley – BA Philosophy and History 2021, MA Philosophy 2022

I think I will be able to help students find the right degree for them, discuss my experience with my degree, help at any open days and generally talk about student life in general. I really tried to throw myself into university, being academic reps, on committees, and getting a few part-time jobs, so I can discuss my experiences of that.

Skills: I am confident in public speaking and have had to do it for a number of open days and for my degrees. I am also good at talking to strangers so any sort of student interaction role is something I am interested in.

Pursuing a PGDip in Law from the University of Law. Also works as an Event Coordinator Assistant with the University of Southampton.

James Roper – BA Modern History and Politics 2022

As a graduate ambassador, I will be most able to help with opportunities aimed at first-generation students at the university. This is a direct result of my own experience as a first-gen student, seeking out my own information by engaging in opportunities like Ignite at university or becoming involved with the charity ‘Upreach.’ I will be able to offer advice to students who will be in the same position I was either through mentoring or through events in student life. 

Skills: My strongest skill set is my ability to talk to new people and build relationships with them. This has developed as a direct result of my time at university and the opportunities I engaged in. For example, my time as a course representative for my course required me to talk to a wide range of people on my course to gather ideas and feedback to deliver back to the department.

Pursuing an MA in History at the University of Southampton.

Limin Huang – BSc Economics and Finance with a Year in Employment 2022

I would be able to help students with job interview tips and the application process for master’s studies. I am confident that I can reach out to my communities to talk about my academic life at Southampton and what I have gained from my course.
In addition, I have also taken a one-year placement on my course, so I can share with people my working experience and the placement details.

Skills: Thanks to my academic and professional achievement, I am confident in helping with degree and interview tips.

Pursuing an MPhil in Economic Research from the University of Cambridge.

Oana Lazar – MEng Electronic Engineering with Industrial Studies 2022

I will be most able to help by giving advice regarding degree choices and employment opportunities, as well as talking about many outreach opportunities both within and beyond University.

Skills: I thrive in leadership and management roles and love encouraging teams, both within the University in my course such as during the Group Design Projects or lab exercises; within societies such as by coordinating Southampton Hub’s “Invent Plus” activity and then being Hub President; and within external outreach activities such as leading Pint of Science’s “Tech Me Out” events. I also love giving presentations ranging from sharing my team’s exciting achievements, to explaining technical concepts to both technical and non-specialist audiences, to sharing my experiences as a woman in STEM.

Based in Swindon, working as a software engineer for Siemens.

Jubin Varghese – BSc Business Strategy and Innovation Management 2020

As an international student, diving into the job market and finding the best is bit more challenging at times but with proper preparation and mindset, it is easily possible as anyone else. I can advise the upcoming graduates on systematically preparing to face the job market. 

Skills: I was the academic representative during my time at the University of Huddersfield, and this opportunity helped me showcase my skills in maintaining good communication and rapport with my peers, working to problems and public speaking. I am working with one of the biggest telecom businesses in London and I can share my experience developing the soft skill that helped me navigate to this position. 

Insight Executive at giffgaff.

Samuel Abara – BSc Biomedical Sciences 2021

I can help by offering degree advice, financial advice whilst at uni, alerting students to opportunities, being a listening ear and more.

Skills: I believe I’m an effective communicator in the sense of listening and asking questions that require reflection. This is something I got to practice as a tutor during my university years.

Working in London as a technology consultant at Ernst and Young.

Roula Al Kadamani – MA Design Management 2013, PhD in the design sector 2019

I am passionate about guiding and supporting current and prospective students in building self-confidence through public speaking and career engagements with industry. These activities provide profound interpersonal and communication skills for student career development and prospects.

Skills: I have obtained significant experience from the University of Southampton in coaching and mentoring students for successful careers.

Working as a design consultant.

Rachel Baylis – BSc Population and Geography, MSc Social Research Methods and Applied Statistics 2022

I am suited to help by chatting to parents and students at events such as open days.

Skills: I am confident at giving advice to prospective students and their parents through working on move-in and open days whilst at uni. I know Glen Eyre like the back of my hand after spending a summer working there. I am good at social media due to internships and volunteer work. I am good at social research due to my Masters. I know good student budget tips, for example I got my Masters fully funded with a generous living allowance

Working as a Research Officer at Office of National Statistics, London.

Signup for content alerts