Southampton recognised for teaching excellence

Times Higher Awards article page banner image

Three of the University’s teaching and research staff have been shortlisted for this year’s Times Higher Education (THE) Awards.

Dr Scott Border, Principal Teaching Fellow in Anatomy within Medicine, has been shortlisted as a finalist for the Most Innovative Teacher of the Year award. Scott was shortlisted in recognition of building a centre of excellence for neuroanatomy teaching at Southampton.

He says:

My vision is to inspire the next generation; all my work has students at its heart.

Also nominated for the same award is Dr Nicci Campbell, Associate Professor and Principal Audiological Scientist within the Auditory Implant Service. Nicci has developed an unrivalled reputation for excellence in the area of auditory implantation at Southampton, which is enhanced by her clinical patient care commitments.

Nicci says:

I am delighted to be shortlisted for this prestigious award! It is tremendously rewarding to ignite the same passion for learning and love for the field of audiology and cochlear implants in our students.

It is very rare to have two candidates from the same university nominated in this category.

Professor Jelena Grbic, Professor of Mathematics in Mathematical Sciences, has also been shortlisted in the category of Outstanding Research Supervisor. She was nominated by her students, who referenced her enthusiasm and ability to challenge them intellectually.

Jelena said:

I have great fun working with my postgraduate students and I gain great satisfaction as they grow from novice to independent mathematicians.

The winners of this year’s awards will be announced on at a gala dinner in London on Thursday 30 November – best of luck to our finalists!

Signup for content alerts